Saturday, November 10, 2007
Phone software: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=EEB1B339-DF7E-486F-A47A-23D7ED8BE6FD&displaylang=en
Update Server software: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=889c542e-8b09-46c2-bd86-671c21668830&displaylang=en
The steps below outline how to configure the phone for internal communications only.
- One Tanjay/LG/Nortel/Polycom handset
- One Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 Standard Edition server
- At least one SIP enabled domain user
- An exported copy of the Domain or Enterprise root Certificate Authority certificate available on a network share
- A network segment allowing DHCP client address leases
- DNS properly configured to allow Office Communicator 2007 automatic sign-on
By the way, if you're trying to use the USB port on the back of the phone to upload a certificate I couldn't get this to work. Please post your comments if you've found a way other than described in this article!
- Connect the phone's power and network cables
- Power on the phone and tap the exit button on the screen
- Double-tap on the My device icon
- Scroll down to Control Panel and double tap to open
- Double tap the Owner information
- Tap the Network ID tab
- The dialog box will require you to enter a username, password, and domain. You may need to tap and hold the title bar to move the window around since the virtual keyboard consumes most of the screen. Use a valid domain account with permissions to the file share where you exported your root certificate. Tap the OK button when you're done.
- Click the "X" button to close the window
- You should see a mini windows explorer style interface. Tap the View menu and choose Address bar
- Tap the address bar window and enter the location of your root certificate. For example, \\servername\sharename. Be sure to tap the return key on the keyboard to "confirm" the share entry. If all goes well you will see the files/folders of your server and hopefully your certificate. If you have difficulty with this step you may need to return to the Owner information screen to re-validate the credentials used. I had to repeat this step several times since the keyboard will obscure the view of what you're typing.
- When you've located your certificate tap and hold to select it from the menu. Tap Copy and navigate to My Documents. Tap and hold to open the context sensitive window again and tap Paste.
- Open Control Panel again and choose Certificates
- Tap the Import button and tap the OK button
- Navigate to My Documents and choose your certificate
- So now you're probably wondering how to get the OCS client running again right? Navigate to the Windows folder and double-tap the domo shortcut
- Enter your credentials and you're done!
Now for my thoughts on the 16-step process...
If I had to provision several hundred of these for a client I would likely loose my mind! Between the goofy full screen keyboard hiding critical text boxes and the system time not being set correctly I wouldn't be able to sleep at night proposing this solution to a client. There are serious holes in the entire Office Communications Server and Communicator documentation relating to infrastructure design, implementation, and supportability.
Perhaps there is a better way? I hope those who know will inform the rest of us because Microsoft's documentation is lacking this fundamental component -again.
An iPod style scroll wheel allows you to quickly navigate your contacts and select/call them with the push of a button.
...now the hard part...getting it to talk to my OCS 2007 server!
Thursday, November 1, 2007
I recently completed the installation of a 2-node file cluster for a client who was using an HP EVA8000 disk system and had great difficulty in getting the quorum resource to be located.
For those of you who encounter similar issues, I found this KB article to be quite helpful: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886807/en-us
The customer had built the two nodes up and formatted the volumes on both servers which was some what of a pain to get resolved. The end result to fix it was to shut down node 2 and create the cluster on node 1 using the "minimum" setting as described in the above article. I later created a Physical Disk resource and modified the properties of the cluster to use the shared quorum insead of the local one, then removed the local quorum and brought the cluster group online.
Note: I also had to re-format the volume(s) on node 1 before starting the cluster configuration.
I had to shut down node 1 then brought node 2 online and performed a "refresh" of the disk so it would "see" it. I then turned on node 1 and added node 2 to the cluster.
Hope this helps!