Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Recording voice prompts for OCS 2007 R2 IVR and Exchange UM

Now that Windows Vista and Windows 7 lack the ability to record WAV files which are required for the OCS 2007 R2 IVR features and Exchange 2007 UM, I've been using a 3rd party program to record.

The application is called Audacity and can be found at: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I simply record my voice file, use the cut/copy/paste to modify what I need from my various takes, and click File, then Export as WAV. I've found Exchange UM to be very picky when it comes to the type of WAV file it uses and Audacity seems to work out of the box without issue.

Click to dial with OCS 2007 R2 using a '9' prefix

I've been working with OCS dial plans for a year and half now and have always wondered how you would perform click to dial on numbers in OCS which need a '9' prefix to be normalized. For example:


I type in: 917805551212 which normalizes to +17805551212


I have this normalization pattern for two reasons. First, to duplicate the dialing experience for users who are used to a legacy phone system. Second, to eliminate overlapping dial plan numbers. An example of the overlapping dial plan is as follows:

If I allowed the user to type: 7805551212 it could in some cases normalize to +7805 if my dial plan was set up to allow 4-digit dialing (i.e. ^7(\d{3})$ or ^(\d{4})$).


So back to the '9' prefix issue.....if I don't normalize numbers without a '9' prefix, how do we perform click to dial from contacts in Outlook or numbers normalized through the Address Book Service?


The trick I've found is with the Windows dialing rules in Control Panel.

Set up your location and dialing rules including the prefix you need to type to get 'out' to the PSTN.



I haven't found any documentation on this case to date.....then again there is a lot of information to go through in OCS. :)

Friday, February 20, 2009

Exchange Unified Messaging Auto Attendant calling issue from OCS R2

Greetings,

I recently found that for some reason with OCS R2 clients they can't call an Exchange UM Auto Attendant if the name has spaces in it. To correct the problem I needed to recreate my AA objects in AD using the OCSUMUTIL.EXE application and remove/recreate the AA in the Exchange Management Console.

The error from the client was "ID:1" which doesn't tell you much. Also, a SNOOPER trace within OCS shows an error of "408: Bad Request".

Cheers!

Jason