Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Click to dial with OCS 2007 R2 using a '9' prefix

I've been working with OCS dial plans for a year and half now and have always wondered how you would perform click to dial on numbers in OCS which need a '9' prefix to be normalized. For example:


I type in: 917805551212 which normalizes to +17805551212


I have this normalization pattern for two reasons. First, to duplicate the dialing experience for users who are used to a legacy phone system. Second, to eliminate overlapping dial plan numbers. An example of the overlapping dial plan is as follows:

If I allowed the user to type: 7805551212 it could in some cases normalize to +7805 if my dial plan was set up to allow 4-digit dialing (i.e. ^7(\d{3})$ or ^(\d{4})$).


So back to the '9' prefix issue.....if I don't normalize numbers without a '9' prefix, how do we perform click to dial from contacts in Outlook or numbers normalized through the Address Book Service?


The trick I've found is with the Windows dialing rules in Control Panel.

Set up your location and dialing rules including the prefix you need to type to get 'out' to the PSTN.



I haven't found any documentation on this case to date.....then again there is a lot of information to go through in OCS. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment