Thursday, March 29, 2012

RESOLVED: PING Transmit failed General failure

I recently assisted a customer in an engagement where a Lync Server 2010 Edge Server was being put into production. The server was pre-configured from an OS-perspective by another IT group and handed over to us for application configuration. Setting up Lync was straight forward however we noticed through the troubleshooting process that outbound communication on the External network interface was failing. Further investigation showed the server couldn't even ping it's own IP!

The error was: PING: Transmit failed. General failure.

After looking at the interface properties and TCP/IP v4 properties, we noticed NLB was enabled on the NIC. Unchecking this feature resolve the issue. We fought with this one for quite some time!

Hopefully this helps some of you out there.

Cheers....

Go Windows 8!!!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks, this solved my problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same error and noticed that Windows was not activated. Upon activating my windows, I was able to ping failed hosts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Jason that solution worked for me....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jason, this is really helpeful information. sometimes we forget to check small options

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fought it for over a week. Thanks this solution was life saver :)

    Thank you sir!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. This solution helped me, except my problem was due to the "Deterministic Network Enhancer" that was put on by Cisco Sonicwall VPN

    ReplyDelete
  8. One thing I have also noticed with this error is if I open a command prompt normally, I receive the transmit failure. However, if I right-click and run as administrator then ping works fine. Just an observation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had similair issue, but from Server machine I could ping loopback and all "inside" addresses, but would receive the general failure if pinging an outside address using the name or IP. The nslookup worked each time. I had just made DNS settings on the machine (which was a secondary DNS), so I thought it was related as suddenly other servers (not all) had similar issues. I found a post regarding KB2975719 and uninstalled it, still no luck.

    Based on your post, I disabled the Nic Team (NLB) and connection was restored. I then teamed it back up and the issue was still gone. I appreciate your post as it was a crazy hour researching/troubleshooting and users complaining about various resources...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks this help me resolve my issue.

    ReplyDelete