So I recently built a VM on Azure in Southeast Asia to do some testing for a customer. I had a few issues connecting the server to AD but eventually figured out Windows Firewall and a bad DNS configuration was the culprit. Soon after joining and promoting the box to a DC, I started my Lync Server 2013 installation.
This was when things went sideways...
I noticed the Lync Server tossing errors about AD being "partially" prepared which was odd since I had a well built out environment in North America. I thought it might have something to do with latency between Singapore and North America but soon realized that wasn't the issue. In an attempt to install the local configuration store it wouldn't get past the first page and produced an error saying something about not being able to find the configuration store. However, running a Get-CsManagementConnection did return the SCP for SQL.
I moved on to basic troubleshooting of the DC by running a "dcdiag" which revealed errors about the server being unsuitable and another error relating to a missing NETLOGON share. Ah hah!! I also noticed SYSVOL wasn't there as well. Coupled with those two were countless errors about DFS replication in Event Viewer. So after some digging I found the following worked for me:
Follow the instructions in this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947022
In doing so, the SYSVOL share magically appeared!
Once the share was created I restarted the NETLOGON service only to notice the following in Event Viewer:
I manually created the "scripts" and "policies" folders in File Explorer and restarted the NETLOGON service again.
This worked and my Lync installation continued without issue!